Wednesday 13 September 2017

RPi PC Desktop

In December 2016 I was interested to see the announcement of a version of Raspbian PIXEL intended to run on a PC.
I dont want to run a GUI on RPi generally as the tasks I RPi to carry out are based on command-line processing and I prefer to run RPi headless with little software installed.  However using an old laptop to run Raspbian is a very attractive idea.  I can run GNU/linux GUI using the same underlying Debian flavour of Linux and remain within the RPi world.
Initially the software was only distributed as a live DVD image, so you could boot an image but not install it over the existing system on a laptop.  Development has moved forward and sometime this year an installable image was released. I noticed it last week and have now installed it on Alex's very old notebook (Hi-Grade M72R 2009 or earlier).  The audio jack doesn't work and the battery is completely dead but that shouldn't be too inconvenient.
I am very happy with the result.  We have the chromium browser and a basic set of applications available to us and responses are very reasonable.  I had to think a little to get wifi and bluetooth working but now that they are I should be able to do anything I want with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment