Tuesday 5 September 2017

Cross-Compiling using WSL


Almost by accident I found this weblog by Eswar Prakash which describes how to install a linux sub-system under Windows.  He provides a very clear explanation and comprehensive instructions to create the environment, install and update software.  Once the Linux subsystem has been enabled in Windows it looks very realistic to me.  linux directory structure is in the usual place, I have /home/john to store information and I can use standard linux commands (e.g. df, apt-get, ps -ef).  Windows C: and D: are mounted as /mnt/c and /mnt/d so I can move information between linux and Windows.
The gcc compiler works fine as an assembler for me as well so I can create kernel.img for Baking Pi tutorial with:
arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc -c main.s -o kernel.img -mcpu=arm1176jzf-s -mfloat-abi=soft
As previously I can load kernel.img onto my RPi and run the program with an OS.
I think this is wonderful, I have the power of linux with the ease of a command prompt and there isn't a learning curve to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment