Sunday 5 January 2020

Altera Cyclone IV Ethernet development board

There is always a need to hava an FPGA which will do more.  The Cyclone IV board is great for simple output and testing my NIOS processor.  Matrix LED and 7 Segment output provide physical output in addition to screen I/O using the UART.  What I really need is a network connected FPGA.  Ebay provides the answer with a powerful cyclone IV development board complete with gigabit ethernet, an SD card and audio i/o suitable for DSP.  It also has plenty of memory, lots of I/O and a VGA port.
After a few weeks the board duly arrived from Aliexpress in China.
I was able to run LED and KEY test programs provided to check that it is working.
There was also a good QPF project to test Audio input output.

Unfortunately (maybe) the test programs for Ethernet and SD card dont work so I have some investigation, learning and programming work to do before I can use it properly.  My aim is to build a web-server which serves files from the SD card.  A secondary (stretch) goal is to build an audio processor to show waveforms and signals on an attached VGA display.  It may be some time before I can report back on progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment