Monday 2 January 2023

Sleep, relaxation, meditation - one

 Getting a good nights sleep is something which is very important to me.  When it happens life is easier and more enjoyable.  It isn't a subject I have blogged, but maybe it should be.  I will start an entry and see how it develops.  

Matt Walker

Annette suggested I listen to a podcast from Zoe Science and Nutrition, The secrets of Good Sleep, which is an interview with an expert Matthew Walker.  I found it most interesting.  As a full-time University researcher Matthew Walker is able to explain many aspects of sleep and how it is affected by external lifestyle factors.

Although it wasn't a "self-help" tutorial he did mention an effective technique for falling asleep is to imagine you are going on a well-known and enjoyable walk, then focus in granular detail on what you see, hear, feel, small etc...until you hear your alarm wake you up in the morning.

There were many other sensible ideas, which are backed by research, diet is important; coffee should not be drunk in the afternoon evening; quality and type of sleep have a major effect on memory.

 He appears to have a number of podcasts on the subject which may be worth listening to.

Insight Timer

I often use Insight Timer for relaxation or to help me sleep.  Some of my favourite teachers are Jennifer Piercy, David Ji and Sarah Blondin.  I regularly surprise myself by how easy it is to change to a more positive frame of mind, simply by listening to someone talk for 20 minutes.  Before I may be tense, jaded, anxious, irritable; after I am more relaxed, happier, thinking more clearly.  It takes no more effort than sitting being miserable so why not do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment