Saturday 31 December 2022

My Top Ten Favourite Pictures

 A tricky question

I started off trying to decide my top ten favourite pictures, but realised it is pretty impossible to choose a list.  I Googled top ten and mostly I don't particularly like them.  Do I prefer old to modern artists, pictures showing skilled brushstrokes, is the immediate impact or story told important and how much should knowledge of the artist/picture/environment/rarity/history be important?  I appear to have another impossible task.  Annette suggested picking my two favourite artists from each century but even this proved a headache. 

Criteria

I think my main criteria are:

  • how much or how long I enjoy looking at a picture
  • is the composition interesting
  • are the colours expressive
  • whether it is an enduring opinion rather than a whim
  • is there an interesting story
  • does it have a strong emotional effect
  • is its rarity/age admirable
  • is great skill evident
  • does the work communicate a strong message 

My approach

I have a photo collection from the principal galleries I have visited so I will restrict myself to choosing from the pictures on my website.  Even so there is a great variety to choose from, I find it hard even to compare artists from different times.  My approach will be a sort of knock-out tournament.  When deciding which images to capture for my website I aim to choose about four per room and each gallery comprises a number of groups of rooms.  I will start the first round by choosing four pictures per group and move on in the second round to choose four of the winners to get the top four pictures in a gallery.  Galleries and Galley exhibitions are classified separately so I will end up with about 10 groups of four in the semi-final.

A snapshot

A selection of my favourite art based on those I like best and I have pinned up, in miniature, on my study wall.

1 Wheatfield with Crows, Vincent Van Gogh 1890

2 Claude Monet, Water-lilies, Setting Sun 1907

3 The Fighting Temeraire, JMW Turner 1838

4 Ballet Dancers, Degas, 888


5 Debbie Harry, Andy Warhol, 1980

6 An experiment on a bird, Joseph Wright of Derby 1768

7 Lake Keitele, Akseli Gallen-Kallela, 1905

8 Hylas surprised b Naiades, John Gibson, 1827

9 Salome, Aubrey Beardsley, 1893

10 Magna Carta (an Embroidery), Cornelia Parker, 2015








No comments:

Post a Comment