Wednesday 11 August 2021

Windows 10 Pro

Why

One of the good things about using RPis is that we can SSH into them remotely so it is easy to use multiple systems for different purposes with a single screen (or two) and keyboard.

I am planning to purchase a new PC but I am not looking forward to it  because of all the tasks involved in switching over from the old one.  It would be much simpler and satisfying to run old and new in parallel.  I could set up the new PC and transfer over important and frequently used applications and data.  There are lots of apps, data, configurations on the old one which I probably don't need and I could leave them in place initially.

Unfortunately running two Windows PCs with separate screens and keyboards is a pain.  They take up a lot of space and aren't convenient to use.  I could use KVM style screen / keyboard switch but good ones are expensive and I find them messy.

I could use TeamViewer, splash top  or VNC to access the old PC from the new one.  In the past I have found them a bit clunky but that is probably my lack of familiarity.  However I decided to try Microsoft Windows Remote Desktop which I would hope is well integrated.

How

To use RDP I need my existing Win10 PC to be running Win10 Pro.  Win10 Pro doesn't have many useful features but RDP and bit locker disk encryption are good.  

Buying direct from Microsoft is quite expensive but a quick Google showed me that there are plenty of third-party suppliers who can provide a product key for about £20.  These sites can be dodgy so I picked one called unitysoft, which has an office address and support available.  On purchase I received a product key and some straightforward instructions.

All you really have to do is change the product key in Settings > System >  About.
The computer then spends a couple of minutes reconfiguring existing software so you have Windows 10 Pro.  You can check this in Settings > System > About 😀😊😊

To access the PC remotely just download the Microsoft Remote Desktop app onto Macbook, iPad etc and connect to the system with your current userid and password.  If you are logged on locally you will be logged off.

So

This is wonderful, just what I always wanted.  I can install my new PC, transfer over what I want to it and leave the old box in the corner connected to network but without screen / keyboard.  If there is something I need over the next few months (and there will be) I can turn on the old PC and sort it out.

In the example below you see my lovely Macbook M1 with a Windows Remote Desktop.  Normally I would run it as a full screen, but this shows the Apple background and apps as well as the Windows desktop.  At the moment I am debugging a 6502 program with my board attached to the PC using a COM port.  I can sit in comfort with no cables or hardware attached attached to my Macbook and happily use Windows functions. Bliss.



No comments:

Post a Comment