Saturday 6 June 2020

Linux AV

In May I had a note from Virgin Media, my ISP, to say that azorult, some malware, was present on a device using my internet connection. It was helpful of them to provide this but not specific enough for me to isolate the problem.

azorult is malware often spread by phishing, infection could occur from clicking on bad links. Information on the internet doesn't pin it down particular types of device.  My devices include PCs, ipads, android phones, rpi, music devices, ip cameras.  There are also visitors with other devices.

My first step was to warn home users to stay alert as a warning has been received.  I then needed to check virus protection on my systems is uptodate.  For hardware devices, there isn't much I can do.  Virus checking on phones is done automatically and Windows devices have updates applied automatically.  That means my main effort was geared towards Linux.

I don't generally virus check RPi systems as they have very limited external connectivity.  In this case, since infection is potentially inside the LAN I need to review them.  There dont appear to be many virus scanners appropriate to linux, Clamav, which is owned by Cisco seemed to be good and widely used.

On installation the software runs freshclam to download virus signature database files.  You then use clamscan on a file selection to check for viruses.   I ran a complete check on RPi SD cards and saved the results.  Mostly the checks worked well.  I had problems with the newest RPi 3+ running buster and split the scan down into chunks to narrow down the problem, which then "went away".  RPI 1+ had insufficient memory for a scan so I created a samba share for the root drive and successfully scanned from RPI 3+.

Results were encouraging, no viruses were found.  That leaves me with some confidence that I don't currently have a problem and have taken responsible efforts to protect us.

No comments:

Post a Comment