Monday 6 April 2020

Atlas - Kernel Build

WS2

Following success with Rocketboards WS1 tutorial enabling me to write a C program running under linux in two way communication with an FPGA program I was excited by the prospect of WS2.
WS2 describes how to build a preloader (as before) build u-boot and build a kernel.  I was able to build the preloader and build u-boot but kernel build dates from about 2015 and not all the sources are still available.  The installation is very technical and I wasn't able to adapt it for myself.

Digikey

Robert Nelson, a modern day hero at Digikey has published, and kept upto date, a sequence of instructions to build u-boot and linux then create a bootable SDcard.  The instructions explain how to:
  • Install the Linaro ARM cross compiler
  • Obtain and compile u-boot
  • obtain and build kernel
  • Obtain Debian 10.3 root filesystem
  • SD card creation.
I created a Debian 10.3 linux system on a USB hard drive so I could do the build without affecting my Windows PC configuration and the tutorial worked like a dream. The new SD card boots up on the Atlas system complete with ethernet interface, ssh and nginx.  It used 550MB of the 2GB microSD card I supplied so there is plenty of space.






No comments:

Post a Comment