Wednesday 20 March 2019

Updating SQL Databases

I don't get at all excited about SQL databases, but they are very useful.  I have one for art which contains many details of pictures I have seen at various galleries.  In conjunction with the pictures I save descriptions of the paintings and have recently started adding my own comments on what is notable about them.
I use HeidiSQL to update the Maria/MySQL database but it is a bit of a nuisance for typing significant amounts of text.  I felt that a simple web front-end to the database would make updating details less onerous.  I didn't manage to find any utilities which would do this for me but I did find a couple of wonderful tutorials by Tania Rascia which explain how to carry out CRUD (create, read, update, delete) functions in PHP on database records.  The subject was so beautifully presented I was able to quickly complete and use the sample page.  Even better it was a simple matter to amend the basic structure to update my own database with a few minutes work.

No comments:

Post a Comment