Tuesday 11 September 2018

NODEMCU ESP8266 plus OLED

Introduction

I was looking to buy some more ESP8266 boards and my attention was attracted by an ESP8266 ESP-12F NODEMCU Wemos Development Board CP2102 + 0.96” OLED for £5.50. This looked to be an ESP8266 with a small OLED display.  I have noticed NODEMCU and Lua before and thought I would try it out.  There is a great attraction in having a display on your MCU rather than arsing around with LEDs all the time.
A quick investigation told me that NODEMCU is firmware written to allow eLua programs to be loaded onto ESP8266 boards.  Lua is a language developed in Brazil as a small, fast, simple interpreter which is suitable for embedded systems.  It is written in ANSI C and has a C API, programs are compiled into bytecode then run on a processor.
In fact the nodemcu firmware is compatible with the Arduino IDE so you can write Arduino ESP8266 sketches and run them on a the board.
The other nice feature of the development board is that I don’t have to press reset / flash buttons to load programs.  This saves a huge amount of irritation.

Installation

The board plugs directly into my PC and is visible to the Arduino IDE.  It is a standard ESP-12F so you use GPIO2 for the blink program.  I found a suitable OLED library on github and only needed to change SDA(D1) and SCL(D2) to run the demo program.

The verdict is that this is amazing, a wifi enabled arduino with a screen for less than £6.

No comments:

Post a Comment